Daniel`s Mill / Ruff`s Mill

Stability provided an assessment and repair drawings with the intent of preserving this storied grist mill structure from the 1840s. Originally owned by William Daniel, a planter and innovative agriculturalist, the mill was purchased by the Ruff family in 1855 and renamed Ruff’s Mill. The structure was spared in the Battle of Ruff`s Mill on July 4, 1864 while many others in the area were burned by Union forces. Today the mill is located on private property; repairs will require additional support to address structural members exposed to the elements, insect damage, and weak original construction.



Return to the Historic Preservation Portfolio