Stability provided assessment and repair drawings with the intent of preserving this storied structure from the 1840s. William Daniel, a planter and innovative agriculturalist, owned part of a grist mill constructed in the 1840\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s near Smyrna, Georgia. The mill was renamed Ruff’s Mill in 1855 upon purchase by the Ruff family, and was spared in the Battle of Ruff\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Mill on July 4, 1864 while many other area structures were burned by Union forces. Today the mill is located on private property and is in a state of disrepair. Repairs will entail additional support required to address structural members exposed to the elements, insect damage and weak original construction.
Lyons Farm House is a historic structure located within the Arabia Mountain Heritage Area in DeKalb County, Georgia. Built in the 1820s, it is believed to be one of the oldest homesteads in DeKalb County. The home was built with stone foundation walls, wood framing, and brick chimneys, and is surrounded by multiple outbuildings including privy, barn, smokehouse, and sorghum mill. Currently the house is in very poor condition and continues to degrade. Stability Engineering provided an inspection of the home’s interior and exterior structural damage and produced a report outlining the required repairs to minimally stabilize the structure and reduce further deterioration. At this point, the stated goal is not to make the structure habitable, but to prevent catastrophic failure. Multiple types of damage were observed relating to water exposure, moisture, insect infestation and other age related issues.
Renovation of existing 19th century barns and new visitor’s center design for the Monastery of the Holy Spirit in Conyers, GA. The existing wood structure of the Big Barn required extensive non-destructive wood testing and resulting replacement and reinforcement due to powder-post beetle damage and water damage. The existing structure of the Historic Barn required a custom steel “web” reinforcement. The new Abbey Store, Monastic Center, and cloister feature custom wood roof trusses and custom storefronts.
Conversion of an existing, dilapidated retail building and the former home of a historic retail location since 1849. The new 350-seat performance venue was designed specifically for Irvin Mayfield and the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra. The facility also houses practice space, education facilities, and the New Orleans Jazz Archive. The structure features modified roof trusses and a new structural steel girder to accommodate views from the new light gauge mezzanine. This project won an Excellence in Historic Preservation award from the Louisiana Landmark Society in 2015. We were honored to be on a team that included Kronberg Wall Architects, Redmellon Restoration and Development, and Landis Construction Company. The award was featured in the Greater New Orleans Times-Picayune.
Renovation of a 2-story garage and apartment building, originally designed by Neel Reid, into office space. The building, which had been damaged by years of moisture exposure required ground up replacement of structural elements. The renovation also included increasing the 2nd story capacity to support 100 psf live load. The 1st floor exterior walls were completely replaced along with duplicates of the architectural elements including hidden gutters, cantilvered canopy and high pitched roof.
Stability Engineering provided consultation, repair drawings, and inspection services for the historic 1920’s Pioneer Neon industrial warehouse in Downtown Atlanta, which had been previously converted into loft apartments. Structural repairs consisted of extensive re-coursing and reinforcing of the structural brick masonry walls and parapets as well as brick veneer facade repairs and window lintel replacement.
Stability performed a structural evaluation and repair narrative on seven large mostly brick buildings in light of a plan to restore the buildings and landscapes to create a community heritage center to house the area’s growing artisan and urban agriculture communities. The plans include roof deck replacement, slab repairs, correction of wall settlement, and repair of damage associated with moisture exposure. Kirkwood’s Pullman Yard, an industrial site for 100 years, was originally built in 1904 as a facility to manufacture parts for sugar and fertilizer factories. In the 1920s the entire facility was purchased by the Pullman company and converted for servicing passenger rail cars until the late 1940s.
Stability Engineering was contacted by the current owners who have had the house in the family for multiple generations. We performed an as-built structural analysis and produced repair drawings to fully restore the house, designing the ground floor to support assembly loads. The proposed use is for a wedding venue, family gathering space, and vacation home. Repairs take historic construction techniques into consideration while increasing the structural capacity and bringing the structure up to today’s standards.